How do I choose an interior paint from my home? A very common question asked by many a homeowner. The choice depends on the amount of shine and durability that you desire. There are five common types of paint finishes or otherwise known as paint sheen. Flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, and high gloss.
So choosing the right finish depends on the durability, the look, and the aesthetic that you’re wanting.
- Flat finish: This finish works well on interior walls and ceilings and it’s the least shiny of all. But if you have children it doesn’t clean well and it is not well-suited for kitchens or bathrooms.
- Eggshell finish: The sheen will have a low luster, but it cleans up much better than flat. You probably don’t want this in a kitchen or bathroom either.
- Satin finish: By far this is the most popular paint finish. Cleans up well and has a little more sheen. A great choice for bedrooms, dining rooms and it’s washable.
- Semi-gloss finish: This finish will give you a nice little shine. It gives you a nice subtle shine and cleans up well. It’s excellent for moldings, windows, kitchens, doors, and baths.
- Hi-gloss finish: This is the absolute shiniest finish of them all. It’s also stain-resistant and easy to scrub so it’s good in high traffic areas. It’s great in the kitchen and can be thoroughly cleaned.